Thursday, November 13, 2008

Green Beans With Ham and Potatoes

I don't like green bean casserole, so I make this instead and it's a hit! I think it was a Southern Living magazine I got it from.

Makes 12-16 servings

1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 1/2 cups diced smoked ham, (I use ham if I make one anyway, otherwise I use turkey ham.)
2 large sweet onions, diced
3 (1-pound) packages frozen cut green beans, thawed (I use the equivalent in canned green beans because I have picky eaters in my family.)
2 cups chicken broth
1 pound small new potatoes, (I use red potatoes and omit the last ingredient because I don't like red peppers. I also only use 4-5 red potatoes.)
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 small red bell pepper, diced

Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add ham, and saute 5 minutes. Add onion, and saute 5 minutes. Add green beans and next 4 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring in bell pepper during the last 2-3 minutes.

I like this so much it could be a meal for me!

No comments: