Friday, January 9, 2009

My Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

I have a sick friend who wants me to post how I make my chicken noodle soup because she loves it and wants it today. I'm going to try to remember what I do because it's mostly to taste.

I boil a whole chicken, (just barely covering the chicken with water, chicken broth for a richer taste, or a mixture of both), until the meat just begins to separate from the bone. Then I take it out and skim the top.

As the chicken is boiling I chop potatoes, onions, garlic, celery, and carrots, I like to add a jalapeno or two depending on how hot it is, I either leave it whole or slice it in half so it can be picked out if it gets to hot.

I keep the water at a low boil while the chicken cools and boil the chopped vegetables. This is when I add spices like, bay leaves, basil, salt, sometimes cayenne pepper, poultry seasoning; anything you think will taste good! I also like fresh rosemary, thyme, different herbs are good and taste better fresh.

I buy the frozen egg noodles and follow the package directions and add them about the same time as the chicken, after I've picked the meat of the bone.

This is even better with left over turkey! All I can say is, smell the spices in your cupboard and decide what else to add and how much and keep tasting it until it's 'perfect'.

Anything you want to add, or how YOU make it, please post it here! I LOVE new ideas!! :)

No comments: